Monday, December 4, 2017

Domestic Skills Symposium 2018

What another awesome year! It was quite unfortunate that I found myself sniffling, coughing, and even losing my voice. For those of you who have been within 10 feet of me, you know I love to talk...it certainly made me more observant of my surroundings. A quiet Kristen can be quite dangerous!

After a quick shortcut through Canada (why are all male Canadian border agents so good-looking? Is there something in the syrup?) we found ourselves in a snowy but beautiful community. Rochester NY appears fantastically like Michigan, so we fit right in!

My first workshop was paper marbling. The woman who taught the class was an amazing teacher, and I would definitely take a class with her again. I did an amazing job throwing stuff onto water and then putting paper onto the stuff on the water. Very descriptive, right? It looked a bit like a Rorschach test, which was fine. I know a handsome doctor who would put it up in his office one day....
My favorite piece that I did myself!

On Saturday we sat down to listen to the main speakers. This site does it right-the research, the questions, the primary source imagery. Also, food. They do food very well. By the end of it all I realized how much I love pickled vegetables and Dutch anything. Also, calico dances were a thing, an interesting thing, a very DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST sort of thing. But certainly fascinating! There wasn't a single moment that I was bored, though my busy hands cranked out a few butterflies/dragonflies.
I ate too much. Surprised?

On our last day Jennifer and I look a cheese basket class. NO, it was not underwater, but yes water is necessary for the process. I sort of understand that expression now. It was a little complicated, but again our teacher was an expert. She was so patient! And we certainly had a lot of questions. In the end I found myself with a finished basket and the skills to do more. I'm feeling some Christmas presents...


This conference gets me so psyched for our own in March! I draw inspiration from everything-the table placement, the AV equipment, even the vendor space. I've learned that learning is a 24/7 activity if you just open your eyes.

Genesee Country Village & Museum is an excellent host! Apart from my annoying cold, I enjoyed every bit of my trip. Please support these wonderful people and this educational opportunity.

~Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

On My Bookshelf: December

December has been a really rough month. Between what happened in Oxford (not far from where I live...) and just the general pandemic issues,...